It’s time to see how I did on this months ‘A Lovely Year of Finishes’ goals. It’s summer break and lots of fun things have happened – including mini trips, an anniversary celebration, amazing quilt classes, oh and we got a pool! All of these things have had an impact on my sewing time but honestly – family time is priceless and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Now I just need to sew more at night and I think I can make it all happen…all about scheduling and timing.
Goal 1. Scrappy Trip Along
By the middle of the month – I had just 34 blocks complete of my goal of 72 blocks with them all sewn together or the end of the month…do you think I made it?
I did! Thanks to my parents that is! I went on a bus trip to the International Quilt Festival on June 21st and my parents watched my kiddo’s while I went. They offered to keep them a bit longer which gave me THREE FULL days to sew! Without these three days it would never have happened. The #scrappytripalong is really fun but was a bit intense in the end…
I thought I was making a queen size quilt but when I laid it out on my King bed it seemed to fit pretty well. I don’t have a good 'straight on’ picture because I didn’t want to hang it until it was quilted. Last night I delivered it to my aunt Barb of Quilts by Barb for quilting so I should have a ‘finished’ picture to share with you all in a month or two. I’m guessing the binding may take me awhile.
This is just a little ‘peek’ at what I created. I was inspired by the cross hatching in an old chair I’m repainted and played a bit with weaving. When I first started quilting I decided to actually weave a quilt so I wouldn’t have to match my corners. Turns out that taking that little bit of time to match your corners is way easier than weaving a quilt. I do have a pretty amazing woven quilt to show for my efforts though. Anyway – so I decided to play a little with raw edge weaving and I decided to make a tote bag. More pictures and details to come soon but it is FINISHED!
Goal 3. Catch up and/or Keep up with the various quilt along’s I’m participating in.
I have fallen behind on so many quilt alongs…I really need to either catch up with them or realize that it just isn’t going to happen. Here’s the four that I really want to keep up with…
- 2013 Craftsy BOM – I’m adding these blocks to my 2012 Craftsy BOM blocks so I really need to catch up to this….
New Plan. I’m going to just put together my 2012 Craftsy BOM blocks together and not do the 2013 Craftsy BOM. I just feel overwhelmed looking at it and I think I need to finish my red/turquoise/grey fabric quilt up. Once I made this decision I felt so much less stressed about my to do list. Since quilting is sort of my job but also something I truly enjoy doing I don’t want to feel stressed about it at all…I want to feel inspired. So – now I just have to figure out how to sash this… Still deciding how I want to put this together. I need to get a few quilts off my design wall so I can put these blocks up and let them ‘marinate’ in my mind for a bit…
1. tulapink block 3, 2. Block 6, 3. Block 5, 4. Block 4, 5. Block 7, 6. Tula Pink's City Sampler Quilt Along, 7. Tula Pink's City Sampler Quilt Along, 8. Tula Pink's City Sampler Quilt Along, 9. Tula Pink's City Sampler Quilt Along, 10. Tula Pink's City Sampler Quilt Along, 11. Tula Pink's City Sampler Quilt Along, 12. Tula Pink's City Sampler Quilt Along, 13. Tula Pink's City Sampler Quilt Along, 14. Tula100 Block No. 16, 15. Tula100 BLock no 17, 16. tula100 block no 18, 17. tulapink block 1, 18. tulapink block 2
- City Sampler Quilt Along – I have 18 blocks done so far! A big group of bloggers is running a ‘quilt along’ and so far they are through block 15…so I feel like being at 18 is a good thing. I’m trying to get as ahead as I possibly can because we have A LOT of apples on our trees in the orchard which means I’m going to be swamped from mid-August to the end of October with farm things. I don’t want to fall too far behind everyone during those months!
- Dancing Stars QAL – I did not get any additional blocks done this month…but I did cut up more fabrics to make the blocks. At least that’s something…
- Impromptu Along – So, at the beginning of this month when I put this on my list I hadn’t even gotten the pattern yet. I’m proud to say that I have the main quilt top all pieced! I used a mix of hand-dyed fabrics and my beloved African fabrics. I LOVE this quilt top! I have started the borders. I have one around the edges and am currently working on a second pieced border to finish it off. It shouldn’t take me long but I have to measure and pin borders so I always procrastinate on them.
- Aurifil Designer Block of the Month – Since I was only working on a few quilt along’s, I decided I needed to add another to the list. I have four of the blocks done – just two more to do to catch up with all that have been posted so far. I have decided to combine my Aurfil blocks with the Fairytale Bungalow Quilting BOM patterns to create one really fun and crazy sampler quilt. I just have one done so far – 5 more to piece to catch up. I’m still happy with the progress on this last minute addition to my ‘to do list’.
My Madison Modern Quilt Guild had a June Lotto Block Challenge and I made three blocks in three different color ways!
Here are what all the blocks look like next to each other! I didn’t win them but I can’t wait to see this quilt finished! What fun! I also can’t wait to see what block we’ll be making in July!
We had another challenge – to make a name tag. You know I can't say no to a challenge. The night before the meeting I finally whipped up my name tag…
It was nothing too exciting. I used a fun spool of thread fabric as my background. Went into my scraps of fabric that already had fusing on them and cut out strips to make my name and then added a little big of shiny embellishment to the edges. Of course – I finished all this and then something came up at the last minute and I didn’t get to the meeting. Luckily a friend at least brought my blocks so they’d get to the lotto winner. Hopefully I’ll get there next month to show off my name tag.
How did you do on your June goals? Don’t forget to link up HERE. Today’s the last day to do so!
Oh – and it’s Sunday so we need a Haiku
Driving in the car
Having fun with the kiddos
playground, swim and dance