This week the second Project QUILTING Challenge of Season 7 was posted. My mother-in-law, Diane Lapacek comes up with all the challenge themes and this week she chose to inspire us with “Seasons.” I have to admit – I wasn’t too excited about “seasons” except for one thing … it fit another challenge I had. Every year I buy into the Sun Prairie Heritage Quilt Show Quilt Challenge which comes with a fat quarter of fabric and some sort of challenge theme. This year the theme was “April Showers” and it had a brightly colored umbrella fabric print fabric. April Shower’s and Seasons can completely mix with each other – it was time to start the challenge.
I’m trying to think of the way this whole idea began but I’m not sure where the seed initially was planted. The first thing I did though was choose eight fabrics … a sky and a ground for each season. I then created a template in EQ7 for for a 10” drunkard’s path block to print out. I used this as the base of my creation. I knew I wanted spring and summer on the bottom because it just worked so well with the fabrics I had chosen for the season so that’s how the orientation was determined.
At this point, I was trying to figure out a way to add something fun and whimsical to the quilt. Initially I was going to draw a duck in boots holding an umbrella for spring. Then perhaps a duck lounging under an umbrella in summer and so forth. My duck drawing were just not up to par though so I started to think of a different solution. So … I went to my stash. I found the perfect fabric that had the perfect scale people that I needed for the quilt. It was the Sarah Jane parade fabric from Michael Miller. I fused heat n bond lite to the back of each of the kids that I wanted to put on my quilt. I then cut really carefully along the lines and fused them in the appropriate season. I then realized I needed a little more … so I added a tree.
For spring … I added boots to the little girl using the challenge fabric for the “Spring Shower’s” challenge. I also replaced the flag she was holding with an umbrella again with the challenge fabric. On the tree I added flowers to indicate spring blossoms and of course a rainy background fabric.
Summer … I fused the boy riding the bike. I didn’t add anything to him … he was already perfect. I did add some bright green leaves to the tree branches though.
Fall – a little girl excited to be playing in the leaves! All the leaves are fused on and cut from the challenge fabric.
Winter … I had to do a bit to winter. The little girl from the fabric was wearing a short sleeved dress and no pants – definitely not warm enough for winter. So … I made her a coat, snow pants, boots, and a hat … all from the challenge fabric. I also added a fun little sparkly snowman to the mix. His hat and scarf are made from the challenge fabric.
I made one of my “signature” flanges using the challenge fabric. I used a wide range of aurifil threads for the free-motion quilting portion of the quilt. It was a lot of fun figuring out different patterns and designs for each season.
And with that .. “Seasons of Play” was complete.
On the back of the quilt I used the extra parade fabric that I had fussy cut from for the front. I think it’s a fun way to see where the people started and what I turned them into. It’s also really easy to see all my free motion quilting on the back … which I must admit … I’m pretty darn proud of.
Final size: 23” x 23”
Designed, pieced and quilted by Kim Lapacek, Poynette, WI